"All parts of the body which have a function if used in moderation and exercised in labors in which each is accustomed,
Become thereby healthy,
Well developed and age more slowly,
But if unused they become liable to disease,
Defective in growth and age quickly."
"People who are obese at 60 are twice as likely to develop dementia by the time they are 75"
Professor Clive Ballard
"Living a healthy lifestyle will only deprive you of poor health, lethargy, and fat."
I have many patients who request medications to help them lose weight. They are right to be concerned with their weight; however, they have the wrong approach to managing their weight gain. They want a short cut solution to their obesity-a pill that will melt the fatty tissue. A recent article that appeared on the BBC on line and the Washington Post showed that obesity, smoking, high blood pressure and high cholesterol can lead to Alzheimer disease because they destroy the blood vessels in the brain and lead to the death of the brain cells. It will therefore appear that lifestyle changes can go a long way to prevent the disease. These are some suggestions:
- You should buy into the concept that food is medicine so you can eat the right food at the right time.
- Learn form the Nun study. The nuns who engaged their minds all the time were immune to the onslaught of the Alzheimer disease even though some of the nuns showed Alzheimer changes in their brain after death. This study gives us a healthy model to follow. It is a recipe for preventing Alzheimer disease.
- Find time to exercise. Exercise keeps the brain alive by inducing the growth of new cells. It will also keep your weight down and help reduce high blood pressure and increased cholesterol levels in your blood.
- Eat fish or take Omega 3 fatty acids as they help prevent Alzheimer disease.
- Embrace spirituality to help you reduce stress. When you are under continuous stress, your body comes under attack from the steroids you produce from the stress. The result of this steroid onslaught is to attack your immune system, your brain cells, your chromosomes and cause you to age prematurely. Spirituality gives you resilience and buffers you from stress so you can weather these stressful moments in your life.
"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness."
"If exercise came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body."
"He that takes medicine and neglects diet, wastes the skill of the physician."
- Chinese Proverb